Thursday, September 18, 2008

We Haven't Completely Lost The Day

I've found out through simple math that I'm getting around 4 hours of sleep every night...That's not that great.

I'm not one to listen to older music. That being from about 3 to 5 decades ago, but ever since Richard Wright of Pink Floyd passed away this week I've been listening to a little more Pink Floyd. Not a lot, but more than I have in the past. It takes me back to 10th grade at McNeil. I was taking geometry at the time after barely passing Algebra the year before. Such a struggle for me as a young kid. I ended up failing geometry horribly (I think). I really can't remember that much about it. I do remember I ended up with a really low grade for one part of the course. But this is all beside the point...

I had a teacher named Mr. Stokes. Already, the name was enough to catch my attention since this was the height of The Strokes being a well known band. By god, I can't remember the name of The Stroke's first album..."Barely Legal"? This is also beside the point. I keep breaking away from what I'm trying to get to here.

When I walked into his class room he had this weird shit playing on a mini boom box in his class room. Eventually, someone got curious and asked, "What the hell are you playing on your stereo?" Pink Floyd. Specifically, "Dark Side of the Moon". I can only tell know because songs like "Great Gig In The Sky" stand out from the times that I was in that class room. I thought it was so strange and everyone else was a little weird-ed out by it. I look back at it now and it seemed like the coolest place in the school. A place I still hate to this day. I never picked up Pink Floyd from that class room. I disregarded it because it was too old to me, it was the past. It meant nothing to me and plus there was all this good music I was discovering at the time. Forgive me, I was probably about 15 or 16 at the time. I still don't listen to Pink Floyd that much and I'm still not that crazy about them, but it's good enough to pick up and give it a listen. Where as, back in the day, I would of liked nothing more than to stop listening to old music. By the way, you could tell that Stokes had made his way into the present at the time, but his hair was still from 1970.

Aside from that tangent into the past, I managed to sleep through my 11 AM class. At least I got up for the 8 AM one. Still, if you knew me, you would know that I hate to miss class. It's something I rarely do now. Funny to think that a mere 3 years ago I missed about 2 weeks worth of classes because I was severely depressed. But it all happens for a reason doesn't it?

I catch myself thinking about this decade a lot (2000-2009). How it is almost over and how so much has changed. So much more from the previous decade. This time 8 years ago I was living in Austin. At this time I was probably getting ready to finish up a day of my freshmen year. I can't remember what class I was in exactly at this time, but I remember getting out at 4:07 every day - 5 days a week.

8 years into the future, my days are a little different. I'm living in the DFW area and I'm in college. It's 3:40 PM and I have to go to work at 6:30 PM. I was living with my parents 8 years ago. Now, I'm on my own. I'm in a place where I barely know anyone. I would of never thought I would of gotten this far in life. I figured back then that my days were going to by numbered before 2005. Strange to think in a way they almost were.

8 years into the future it's 2016. I'm 31 years old now. It seems sad that my twenties are over, but I maintain that life isn't over for me yet. I've always been a late-bloomer so I think the best is still yet to come. I wonder if I'll have a kid by then? I wonder if I will continue my education? It does me no good to think about it. One of these days I'll wake up and it'll be 2016. Just like I woke up today and it was 2008.

No comments: